Re: Pro*C vs OCI

From: Tom Poindexter <tpoindex_at_nyx10.nyx.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 20:13:45 GMT

In article <361E346B.2232CBA7_at_phx.mcd.mot.com>, Susan Wilson <susanw_at_phx.mcd.mot.com> wrote:
>Tom,
>Ever done performance test on Oratcl compared to Pro*C or OCI? We are
>going to use Oratcl (or maybe Perl's DBI modules) to talk to a Tcl suite
>that runs auto-generated sw regressions tests, and stores the captured
>logs to an Oracle database.

(also answered via private email)

No, I haven't benchmarked Oratcl vs. OCI or Pro*C. Oratcl will likely be slower in some things, but can certainly hold it's own in other situations.

I've written GUI applications in Tcl/Tk/Oratcl that were noticably faster (human user perception) than some written in C/OCI/Motif. If you're writting a custom batch load program, it may be slower. A lot depends on database design; a poorly tuned database will act slowly no matter the front end client.

Tcl is a good fit for building a regression test harness, as evident from several successful projects. sounds like you already have a test bench written in Tcl. Using Oratcl will fit in very nicely.

Re: Oracle/Linux. Be sure to get the Makefile for Oracle 8.0.x I recently posted to comp.databases.oracle.tools, or get it from my web page. The configure/makefile that comes with Oratcl-2.5 doesn't recognize Oracle 8. That will be fixed in Oratcl-3.0.

--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex_at_nyx.net