Connecting to Oracle v6 with SQLnet v2

From: <hsmeets_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 18:54:19 GMT

Hi,

This morning I installed Personal Oracle v7.3.4 on my PC at the office. When I tried to connect to Oracle v6.x.x (yes, still running v6) on our UNIX system I got an error message. I know that with using SQL*net v2 you cannot connect to a v6.x.x Oracle database.

Because our IT department is tied-up with other things (not installing v7) I did want to get a head-start by installing Oracle on my PC and use database links to access data stored in our production system. I have to write several PL/SQL programms to convert the database in a new database model because in the near future we will use a new software package.

My question: Is there a workaround to connect with Oracle v7 / SQL*net v2 to a Oracle v6 database.

What I not want to do is exporting and importing 1 Gigabyte (which is the approx. size of the database) of data from the Unix to the PC.

Any suggestion is welcome!

Thanks,

Huib Smeets