Re: Data Migration from Access to Oracle8

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 13:12:39 GMT

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:25:37 +0200, "Marcus N Hofer" <markus_at_tk136248.telekabel.at> wrote:

>how about that:
>
> install some 'intermediate' oracle database for WinNT/95 on the maschine
>where the Access application runs.
>
>perform the wizard driven migration.
>
>transport the resulting database scheme to the Oracle8 running on the
>solaris
>via export/import.
>

>not very elegant, but you do it only once and it will work for sure ;-)
>

>--marcus

The Migration Assistant will give you the option of directly creating the database objects in the target Oracle database (regardless of operating system...it could be on Solaris), or you can create the SQL scripts, save them to a file, and then run them on the target database at a later time.

You also have the option of modifying the Access database you are migrating, such that all forms and reports that were developed in MS Access will work with the new Oracle database.

There shouldn't be any need for an intermediate database (unless you want to do this against a test database first).

>Todd McLain schrieb in Nachricht <6umk8s$oar$1_at_news.marinemwr.or.jp>...
>>Greetings,
>>
>> I am currently working on a design strategy for an ISP management
>>database. The current database is in Access, but we are planning to
>migrate
>>to Oracle8. Now, I am aware of the Oracle Migration Assitant for MS
>Access,
>>but we are moving to a Solaris based version of Oracle8. Could somebody
>>please tell me if there is a migration assitant for Access in the Solaris
>>version, or, possibly some iddeas on how too make the migration?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>Todd McLain, Database Manager
>>KDD Okinawa Service Co., Ltd.
>>mclaint_at_kdd-ok.ne.jp

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Mon Sep 28 1998 - 08:12:39 CDT