Oracle 8 HANGING! Anyone else?

From: <jameslowe_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 03:00:27 GMT

Under heavy load, our Oracle 8.0.5.0.0 database seems to go into some hung state. There are quite a few latches attempting to be grabbed....but it seems that nothing gets resolved and eventually the server grinds to a halt with machine load at like 60!!! Argh! The server is running on an Enterprise 3000. We have had consultants look at it and they claim there are NO database design issues which can be causing it. One firm referred to the problem as "shared pool degradation" and claimed the problem has been around since 7.0.1.6 and has still not been resolved. Am wondering if there are others with similar problems. Any help is greatly appreciated.....we are slowly going out of business.

Any clues or tips or hints are greatly appreciated as well. Have heard about this patch for Oracle 7 (#322904) which resolved the EXACT problem I am describing.....of course we are running 8 so it does not apply.

Thanks,
Mike (webmaster_at_mail.communityconnect.com)