converting from paradox to oracle 8.03

From: Mark Meyer <geeky2_at_gte.net>
Date: 25 Sep 1998 22:51:56 GMT

hi eveyone!

i am starting my first project in oracle soon. my experience has been mostly client side development with delphi 1,2,& 3. almost _ALL_ of these applications have been back-ended with paradox. we have finally convinced our client that they have "truly" outgrown paradox and need to move on to something else. hence the switch to oracle.

i would appreciate any advice/gottchas/direction/personal war stories from people who have made the transition i am about to make - mainly a developer with experience in client side dev, back-ended by smaller databases like paradox - who needs to switch to a true sql server like oracle.

also - i have identified 4 issues below that i know will have to be dealt with from the start...i would appreciate any comments you might have on these items as well...

  1. translating the existing sql in my delphi apps to oracle sql.
  2. translating the existing paradox database schema to an oracle database schema.
  3. conversion of batch oriented processing using Paradox PAL and ObjectPAL to PL/SQL.
  4. database administration - i have heard several things about oracle - namely that it does require a full - time DBA - if this is true - this could cause some probs. our dev group is very small and we don't plan on getting a full-time DBA for this client or any of our other clients. i am not a huge fan of paradox - but it has allowed the developer to concentrate on writing code not administering the tables.

thanks mark Received on Fri Sep 25 1998 - 17:51:56 CDT