7.3.4 on Solaris 2.6 installation

From: Georg Rehm <georg_at_cl-ki.uni-osnabrueck.de>
Date: 25 Sep 1998 08:50:20 GMT

Hi there,

We're trying to install Oracle 7.3.4 Enterprise on a Solaris 2.6 Ultrasparc box (with the usual patches installed, maybe there are some inconsistencies?). We've tried a lot of combinations in "orainst" but eventually we always get this error during the installation phase (with "Install New Product - Create DB Objects"):

[from os.log in the "orainst" directory]
--------------[ rdbms.ins 3693 ]---------------------------------------------
Action: Using egrep to search for '%create_db_key_words%' in the file: /usr/local/oracle/admin/WG73/create/crdbWG73.lst in order to determine if the 'CREATE DATABASE' statement succeeded for the WG73 database. Command: (egrep '^ORA-' /usr/local/oracle/admin/WG73/create/crdbWG73.lst), Out=/usr/local/oracle/product/734/orainst/os.log, Err=/usr/local/oracle/product/734/orainst/os.log {
ORA-07331: smsnsg: unable to allocate the variable portion of the SGA. ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
}
--------------[ rdbms.ins 3706 ]---------------------------------------------

Our initial environment for the oracle7 user who is running "orainst" looks like this:

export ORACLE_BASE=/usr/local/oracle
export ORACLE_HOME=/usr/local/oracle/product/734
export ORACLE_NLS32=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data
export PATH=$PATH:.:$ORACLE_HOME/bin
export ORACLE_SID=WG73
export ORACLE_TERM=vt100
export TMPDIR=/tmp

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/X11/lib:/usr/ccs/lib:/usr/ucblib

unset SRCHOME
unset TWO_TASK

The funny thing is, that another 7.3.4 has been installed on another machine (with an identical hardware setup) without any trouble. We checked /etc/system on both machines and they are identical, too (as some note from the online docs suggested to modify /etc/system) so wrong entries in the kernel configuration file cannot be the problem.

Does anybody have an idea what's going on here?

Greetings,

        Georg

P.S. Before you start flaming: Yes, we went through the documentation a

     couple of times ... :-(
--

Georg Rehm                                     georg_at_cl-ki.uni-osnabrueck.de
Institute for Semantic Information Processing, University of Osnabrueck, FRG Received on Fri Sep 25 1998 - 03:50:20 CDT