raw partions vs file systems

From: Mick McRae <Mick.McRae_at_its.csiro.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 17:10:06 +1100

Hi,

I've only ever configured Oracle databases using Unix file systems. A site
I'm starting with uses raw partitions. Do raw partitions provide significant performance increases? I suppose the performance gain would want to be
at least 10% for the additional overhead and limited flexibility of using raw partions.

We run Oracle7/Oracle8 on Solaris 2.5.1/2.6. As a scenario, assume a 5GB
and 10GB database. Also, what are the differences if the database is predominantly read-only as opposed to write intensive. The filesystems/rawpartions are striped and mirrored, although this does not

necessarily have to be the case.

Any input appreciated

Regards,
Mick Received on Thu Sep 24 1998 - 01:10:06 CDT