SQLNET/Developer 2000 (was Re: Getting this error with Oracle 8)

From: Joe Brown <NoSpamMeVeryMuch_at_leading.net>
Date: 1998/09/16

Older Developer 2000 doesn't understand Net8. That's why Oracle includes both Net8 & SQLNET 2.3.4 with the database.

If you havn't installed SQLNET 2.3.4, or even if you have, you may need to configure the SQLNET 2.3.4 Listener.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA on the local machine to locate the instance.

I had difficulty getting the SQLNET2.3.4 listener working after install.

BTW: Unless you use different ports for the two listeners, you'll have to stop TNSListener80, before starting TNSListener.

Aside from being able to use Dev/Discover 2000, the SQLNET2.3.4 version uses about 3-4 megs less memory. But I bet you loose object capabilities.

--
joebrown
@leading.net