Re: BENCHMARK QUESTION

From: EXE <exe_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 21:12:50 -0700

> 1) In general, how many concurrent users is feasible to support a
> single Unix machine with 3 CPUs, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB HD, Oracle 7.3.X and
> Forms4.5 character mode running an invoicing application?

Depends. Depends on whether the forms .FMX files are on the same server, on an app server or on the client machines. Depends on the number and types of transactions. Depends on whether the code is primarily executing in the front-end or the back-end. Depends on how efficiently the triggers, packages, stored procedures, and functions are written. Depends on what UNIX box and what CPUs. As a rule of thumb though I would think you should certainly be fine up to several hundred based on my experience with Oracle based accounting packages but the "DEPENDS" are more important than my anecdotal experience.

> 2) What would be a typical number of concurrent users that will make
> feasible to go for a classic 3-tier model using a TP Monitor? ( for the
> scenario described in the previous question)

See the above.

> 3) Does anybody can help us to contact or describe the system
> configuration of some companies with the following profile.
> * Retail bussiness.
> * Oracle database version 7.X.X
> * More than 400 (four hundrend) concurrent users running forms 4.5.x
> in Unix character mode invoicing applications
> What we want to know is
> 3a) Do they Use a TP Monitor ?
> 3b) What is the system configuration (OS, CPUs, RAM, Disks, etc )

Many can but it probably won't be worth the trouble of writing the check to them. What you need to do is test. If you are considering purchasing a commercial system make the vendor set up a test for you or give you references that demonstrate the scalability. I can tell you for a fact that given a good design team and a good strong Sequent I could easily put several thousand on a system without breaking a sweat.

Regards,

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat Sep 12 1998 - 23:12:50 CDT