Re: SERIAL data type

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/09/08

A copy of this was sent to nasof_at_hotmail.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 08 Sep 1998 17:45:14 GMT, you wrote:

>I think you want this trigger to be a "BEFORE" trigger,

of course you are right, sorry bout that :)

Just checking to see if anyone is reading this stuff....

>otherwise you get an error like:
>ORA-04084: cannot change NEW values for this trigger type
>
>You cant insert a null primary key value (column "x" in your table) _then_
>update it with an unique sequence...
>
>-Frank
>
>In article <35ff2e57.9686478_at_192.86.155.100>,
> tkyte_at_us.oracle.com wrote:
>> A copy of this was sent to "Alberto Lago da Silva"
>> <alberto.lagodasilva_at_abrantina.pt>
>> (if that email address didn't require changing)
>> On Mon, 7 Sep 1998 19:29:33 +0100, you wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >How do I create de equivalent of the Informix SERIAL data type with Oracle 8
>> >and Oracle 7.3.
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance
>> >
>> >als
>> >

>> You need a sequence and a trigger -- it would look like this:
>>
>> create table T1 ( x int primary key, .... );
>>
>> create sequence t1_x_seq;
>>
>> create trigger t1_trigg
>> after insert on t1 for each row
>> begin
>> select t1_x_seq.nextval into :new.x from dual;
>> end;
>> /
>>
>> Thomas Kyte
>> tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
>> Oracle Government
>> Herndon VA
>>
>> --
>> http://govt.us.oracle.com/ -- downloadable utilities

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

--
http://govt.us.oracle.com/    -- downloadable utilities

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you,
you have to make it easy to get email to you.  Any bounced
email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it.