Values in sequence field during failover

From: <tmccready_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 20:01:28 GMT

Oracle DBA's:

In a high-availability Unix environment, do the values in an Oracle sequence field go crazy when one node fails, and another takes over from it? For example, are duplicate sequence values possible after a failure?

Although I am a novice, I have heard that they do, because they are stored in memory until they are written to disk. I heard about one designer who had to re-write his application to manually increment the one-up identifiers (keys) for his tables instead of using "sequence."

Thank you for your attention.

Tom McCready
Library of Congress developer