Re: Is Oracle 7.3.3.2 MT safe????

From: Grange man <nojunk_at_email.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 08:37:35 -0500

I've dealt with this.

Oracle says that there is a thing called 'Post Processing' which occurs between any two Oracle instances (or Gateways) when the capacities of one exceed those of the other. The two exchange tables of what they are capable of, and if SQL is sent to the target which that target cannot handle, the target simply sends all data from all tables involved back to the requester and lets the requester figure it out.

Certain column functions can cause this, as well as numerous other things. Try to make your SQL such that DB2 could understand it, then always use Omegamon/DB2 or something to see what DB2 is doing, until you see DB2 doing it the way you want..

Also note that DB2 usually has READ (share) locks, unlike Oracle. So condition your Gateway users/programmers to code COMMIT's after Selects or Select Cursors to free those locks.

Note finally that if you activate the Gateway's security, then the ID/Password combination used to connect to Oracle (where the Gateway query originates) must have RACF authority to MVS, and have whatever DB2 privileges are required.

As long as these 3 issues are considered, I consider the Gateway to be a fine product, and possibly the easiest way to code PC applications that need to go after DB2 (they become simply Oracle Client programs). I've written several Visual C++ programs to do this.