Re: NT or UNIX for server?

From: Robert Lim <rob_lim_at_savesmart.com>
Date: 1998/03/31

Rob,

I would recommend a UNIX platform for a server. There's a widely known phenom in the NT world after some hard crashes called power-cycle. Fortunately, this seldom happens for a Sun/UNIX platform where it is actually possible to do a complete reboot remotely. As far as the dbase itself. Either platform will still require lots lots of RAM and you have to put up w/ Oracle's idiosyncracies. Another thing you might want to consider is that Oracle seems to get their fixes/patches first on the Solaris platform. Good Luck.

--
Cheers,

Rob
Web Admin./Internet Developer