Re: Connection problem: ORA-12203 and ORA-12154

From: Steven Cools <Steven_at_digimap.be>
Date: 1998/03/23

FlyingVee <b-horton_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote in article <6f38r9$dh7_at_bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...
> Steven Cools wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > a little explanation about my current situation:
> >
> > Oracle 7.3 is installed on a central server (Netware 4.11 - Windows).
> > Several client machine (Windows 95) can succesfully connect to this
 server
> > (for example by using SQL*Plus) but there are problems with 1 client
> > machine.
> > I get following error message when I try to connect with SQL*Plus (with
 the
> > same parameters as used on the other client machines):
> >
> > ORA-12203: TNS: Unable to connect to destination
> >
> > or sometimes:
> >
> > ORA-12154: TNS: Could not resolve service name
> >
> > I checked both errors and their (possible) solution and the manual says
> > that I
> > should check TNSNAMES.ORA but..the other client machines use the same
> > TNSNAMES.ORA so that can't be the problem...
> >
> > Any other suggestions ? If you can please forward them to
 Steven_at_digimap.be

> > greetings,
> >
> > Steven Cools
> >

> Don't know what you mean that they all use the same TSNAMES. Each
> machine has its own TSNAMES.ora under ORAWIN. Check on the
> PC in question that it truely has the server it's looking for.

each machine has its own TNSNAMES.ora file but I've compared those files and
they're identical so the problem is not located in the tnsnames.ora Received on Mon Mar 23 1998 - 00:00:00 CST