Re: Oracle Vs. SQL Server on NT

From: raman batra <rrbatra_at_feist.com>
Date: 1998/03/21

As long as you are not using any advanced features such as advanced replication,
you could use Oracle workgroup server. Only costs $300 per concurrent user - a bargain
compared to SQL Server. SQL Server Enterprise would cost a lot more.

SQL Server 6.5 is way behind Oracle 7.x and Oracle 8 in most features. You will get minimal tech support from MS - they don't have any setup like Oracle (with bronze,silver and gold support options !)

You will get all the features of SQL Server, plus row-level locking. You are
right about horror stories with SQL Server, has only page-level locking.

Microsoft does not have any real thin-client strategy (unless I am wrong!).
Oracle tools will give you thin-client capability. Try Powerbuilder -also
very popular with Oracle.

Oracle's web application server works great and leverages the advantage of a shared pool and PL/SQL

Finally, Oracle on NT is very very easy to setup. One-step installation!!
Administration is easy with Enterprise Manager.

Also, if your db grows and you have to go to UNIX or any platform, you are always covered with Oracle. NT does have to be rebooted more often than almost any flavor of UNIX, although for your transaction volume, it should do OK.

Hope this helps

Raman Batra, DBA