Re: use_ism error on Solaris 2.6

From: Phil Herring <revdoc_at_uow.edu.au>
Date: 1998/03/19

(Newsgroups: line trimmed to just comp.databases.oracle.server)

In article <6ershd$1bj_at_nnrp4.farm.idt.net> David Freitag, dovidf_at_net2phone.com writes:
>What is the impact or usage of use_ism (related to shared memory) for
>Oracle. Right now it fails for us on Solaris 2.6.

Fails in what sense? If you set USE_ISM = TRUE on a system that doesn't support ISM (e.g., any Ultra system), Oracle simply won't use ISM; it should still start and run fine. (Not that I've tried it under Solaris 2.6.)

ISM (intimate shared memory) is a type of shared memory that stays resident in RAM at all times. As such, it's a Good Thing in many cases, because your SGA won't get swapped out. However, it effectively reduces the amount of RAM available to non-RDBMS processes, so if you run a lot of other processes on your system, they may perform poorly with this parameter set.

Copyright 1998 Phil Herring. This article may not be reproduced for profit.