Re: Oracle 7.3.2 Architecture

From: Craig M. Wall <cwall_at_petersons.com>
Date: 1998/03/17

1.) They all seem like more or less similar transaction oriented applications and since they need to share data, one instance seems appropriate. I would advise 4K block size, more spindles in more mirrored sets and to keep redo log files separate from all other I/O activtity. You definetely want to operate in archive log mode.

2.) I probably shouldn't ask "why" you want to change the SID. If it's just for show then use a sql*net alias to call it whatever you want. I wouldn't use the default database ORCL, create your own using the instance manager with a customized init.ora to build the database the way you want it.

3.) I haven't encountered any Oracle server book written specifically for NT. Oracle's Release 7.3 for Windows NT Getting Started #A48503-1 has most of the OS specific info that you would need. Combine this manual with Kevin Loney's DBA Handbook and Velpuri's Backup and Recovery Handbook and you'll cover just about everything. Oracle Troubleshooting also by Velpuri, and Adkoli has a small, relatively useless (if you already have the above books) chapter devoted to Preventive Maintenance on NT.

Craig M. Wall