Addition Oracle instance on separate server?

From: Jeff Garzik <jeff.garzik_at_spinne.com>
Date: 1998/03/12

Interested in setting up an Oracle development system separate from our current production system, running Oracle 7.3.3 on Solaris/SPARC.

We have the licenses already, is there an easy way to install Oracle client libraries (for Pro*C and Perl+Oracle user) and Developer/2000 (for forms design) on a physically separate Sparc server?

Ideally I would like to set up an instance of the same database, so that developers will not take up much CPU on the production server. I'm more hopeful there is a solution that will allow me to install the client libraries on the dev server and connect via TCP/IP to the production Oracle database.

Any hints, pointers, and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Jeff Garzik			    Typhoon, Cyclone, Diablo, and INN
http://www.spinne.com/usenet/	           News tuning and consulting