Illegal use of LONG datatype

From: Dag Arne Matre <dam_at_robin.no>
Date: 1998/03/06

I want to copy a LONG VARCHAR column from one table to another, but I get this message. According to the documentation, this error occurs when a LONG column is used in WHERE, GROUP BY, and so on. Am I?

What am I missing here?

D A

The script (Oracle 8.0.4):

create table t1 (
  id number(9) not null primary key,
  txt long varchar null
);

create table t2 (
  id number(9) not null primary key,
  txt long varchar null
);

insert into t1 (id, txt) values (1,'What am I missing here?'); -- this one gives the error:
insert into t2 (id, txt)
 select id, txt from t1;