Re: Oracle 7.3.2.3 import performance

From: Clifford Buetikofer <clifford_buetikofer_at_merck.com>
Date: 1998/03/06

Alan,

I don't know your hardware configuration but do you have the tape device block size maxed out ? A lot of times the default block size of 512 bytes is used ( at least for VMS TK tapes ) and that's just too small. In the long run, could you beg/borrow/steal some disk space from some other server ? Tape media is ok for backups but IMHO is not stable enough for day-to-day production. Maybe even using NFS to connect to some other operating system's disk pack Anything ....

If you haven't guessed ,I've had major problems with tapes in the past.

Cliff

       my employer, Merck & Co., Inc.  All responsibility for the statements
       sender.