Re: NT striping dangerous with Oracle 7 or 8?

From: Eugen Nyffeler <eugen.nyffeler_at_ubs.com>
Date: 1998/03/04

Steve Phelan wrote:

> I sorta lost with the reasoning here, because you'd still be buggered when
> the battery backup ran out... OK, you may have warning alarms, etc., but in
> the middle of the night you might not be there to hear them.
>
> Surely a 'write through cache' is the only real solution?
>
> Steve Phelan.

It depends on the implementation. A battery backup should only be used to
do a clean shutdown during power failure. In this cases the system goes down, but
the data is saved to the discs.
If a system must run during power failure, then there should be a generator,
which can supplie the required power during "out time" and the battery is used
to in the time between power failure and automatic start of the generator.

Thats the 2 implementation of battery powered system i saw till now and which
make sens to me. The 'write through cache' is cheaper (i think), but the clean shutdown is in this case missing.

Hope with this my prev. msg makes sense

eugen Received on Wed Mar 04 1998 - 00:00:00 CST