Re: NT striping dangerous with Oracle 7 or 8?

From: <bdurrett_at_ccci.org>
Date: 1998/03/02

> This would also be true of a hardware RAID implementation unless the RAID
> controller contains battery-backed memory and can hold those final disk
> writes until the drives are powered up again.
>
> NT striping is no more dangerous that any other implementation. Whether
> Oracle is writing directly to the disks (in RAW mode), or going through a
> non-buffering operating system, or using the operating system's software
> RAID implementation, it makes no difference. There will always, always be
> cases where if power is lost at the wrong time data will be corrupted.
>
> Most SCSI hard disk drives nowadays have largeish on-board caches anyway, so
> even getting the data to the drive doesn't guarantee that it will be put
> onto the media if power is lost at exactly the right moment.

Wow, so you are saying that you really can't protect your database from losing data? If you lose writes to the redo log and to a data file wouldn't you really be sunk? i.e. You couldn't even recover in that case. If you were doing a lot of heavy updating and commiting transactions and the power went out you could lose a bunch of stuff.

But this is not NT specific I suppose. A Sun or HP unix box would have the same issues, correct?