Re: Oracle8 on AIX4.2 - Raw disk or file system?

From: Stephan Schaefer <stephan.schaefer_at_camline.com>
Date: 1998/03/02

Robert Blizard wrote:

> Does anyone out there have experience with this? I am leery of doing
> raw, given extra effort to configure, backup, restore, etc. I would
> esp. like to see any references to published articles, white papers,
> docs, etc. to confirm/debunk superiority of raw.

Hello Robert,

in the book
Advanced Oracle Tuning and Administration, Oracle Press, Osborne you can read many disadvanteges (ie administration) and few advanteges (multiple batch jobs).
Furthermore:
"If the majority of your database activity is from online users executing small transactions, you will likely see little or no performance benefit using raw devices."

I cant remember where I heared the following statement: "Use raw devices if your updates/inserts are more than 1 GB daily."
Perhaps anyone can tell more about this rule...

Stephan Schaefer
stesch_at_camline.com Received on Mon Mar 02 1998 - 00:00:00 CST