Re: SQLPassthrough from Visual Basic to Oracle. HOW?

From: Mike Hackett <sharmike_at_voicenet.com>
Date: 1997/09/30

I'm assuming that if you can attach in Access, you've already got SQL*Net and ODBC drivers configured correctly.

 It looks like you are using a sequence. You should be able to get its value using "select inst_head.nextval from dual" (DUAL being the standard 1-row dummy table in Oracle used for returning results of functions, sequences, etc.). If this works in the SQL passthrough query window in Access you should be able to use this in code using DAO. If you are using 32-bit VB4, you can also look into RDO which is similar to DAO in some respects, but is designed for for client/server and does not have it's own query engine.
You can also use Oracle Objects for OLE. It should be on your Oracle install CD.