Re: Help...Query never completes.

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/09/26

From: Michael Joseph <michaelJ_at_capital-re.com> Large sql statment results in >>The following query causes our 1Gb TEMP tablespace to overflow with the 'Unable to extend TEMP tablespace' message and consequently cannot be
run to completion. <<

Have your tried to estimate the total size of the result set. A 1 GB temp tablespace is not very big and other processess may be making use of some of it. I would look at adding another file to it.

You said that you have analyzed it up and down, but do you mean that you have 'analyzed table table_name estimate statistics sample 50000 rows;' or similiar for every table in the query, or are you just referring to how the sql is written and what indexes exist.

To get useful advise, you probably need to post the explain plan output and the index structure for each index available for the experts to review.  I would suspect 1) outdated statistics or 2) the use of a poor choice for the initial driving table.

Good luck.

Mark Powell -- The only advise that counts is the advise that you follow so follow your own advise Received on Fri Sep 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT