Re: Definitions Help

From: Pete Desnoyers <peted_at_infi.net>
Date: 1997/09/25

It's not stupid. In fact, these questions are the source of much confusion. I'll do the best I can to explain it in simple terms and I'm sure there are others who can do better, but I'll try to help.

David Parry wrote:

> What is the definition and difference between:
>
> 1)Database - A collection of datbase objects such as tables, indexes and views. You can have multiple databases per

              instance.
> 2)Instance - An Oracle process with it's own SGA. You can have

                 multiple instances running at the same time. However,
                 if you want multiple instances accessing the same
                 database, you must use parallel server.

> 3)SID - A User defined name for an instance.

Again, this is simple, butI hope it helps.

Pete

               \__U_/

http://jerry.engrs.infi.net Received on Thu Sep 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT