Re: Question about log purging

From: Morris Wong <morriswg_at_netvigator.com>
Date: 1997/09/21

John P. Higgins wrote:

> Look in your init<SID>.ora parameter file for BACKGROUND_DUMP_DEST and
> USER_DUMP_DEST. These directories collect files that NEVER go away until
> you delete them. In particular, the alert.log will fill the file system
> and stop the database.
>
> masint_at_istar.ca wrote:
> >
> > In article <3421662A.2AE6_at_netvigator.com>,
> > Morris Wong <morriswg_at_netvigator.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am using Oracle version 7.2.3 for Solaris. A plan of log
> > > purging is needed. Where can i find a complete list of
> > > log file/directory which need to be purged periodically?
> > > Thank you!
> > >
> > > Morris
> > > morriswg_at_netvigator.com
> >
> > First of all, it depends if you are running in ARCHIVELOG mode. If you
> > are not, there is no log purging to be done. If you are, look at the
> > value for LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST in your INIT.ORA and that is where Oracle
> > writes archived redo logs.
> >
> > Michael

I am using ARCHIVELOG mode. I have checked the directories pointed by BACKGROUND_DUMP_DEST, USER_DUMP_DEST and LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST. But how about the log files under ?/rdbms directory?

Also for the SQL*Net log file, it has NO daily log switching. The file is opened unless I stop the corresponding server process. The question is that is it safe to remove the opened log files while the server is in service. Alternatively, is it possible to work out a manual log switching?

Thank you.

BR,
Morris
morriswg_at_netvigator.com Received on Sun Sep 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT