Re: Update remote database with trigger

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378nospam_at_deere.com>
Date: 1997/09/14

Try adding this to the trigger at the end: ALTER SESSION CLOSE DATABASE LINK ______; Database links stay open until you close them or your session ends. When the remote database stops, the previously opened database link returns errors.

btruong_at_msn.com wrote:

> I have an interactive application, which always connected
> to local database. In addition, in the local database,
> I have a trigger triggers on an Insert statement,
> calls stored procedure, processes data, then updates the
> remote database using a public database link. The trigger
> has the exception handling, among other things, it handles
> the situation when the remote database is not available.
>
> Everything seems to work perfectly fine until the remote
> database went down and brought backup online again. The
> trigger continues to 'think' the remote database is still down.
> The linkage between local database and remote database remained
> broken until we stop and restart application.
>
> The problem is that: 1) the application has nothing to do with
> remote database. It is a mission critical application that we
> don't want to interrupt. 2) we can not handle the remote database
> down in the application because it does not know the status
> of remote database.
>
> Any information leads me to solve this problem is greatly appreciated.
>
> Ben Van Truong
> bturong_at_msn.com
> (314) 939-4411 Ext. 1099

John P. Higgins      Voice:    (309)765-7868
Deere & Company      Fax:      (309)765-7800
John Deere Road      Internet: jh33378nospam_at_deere.com
Moline, IL 61265     Opinions: My Own