Re: database links between servers

From: Bill Manry <B.Manry_at_upsizeme.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/09/11

Andy Hardy (Andy_Hardy_at_camk.demon.co.uk) wrote: [...]
>The SQL*Net connection string is the bit that you enter after the '@' in
>your SQL*Plus connections. In your case you have two connections
>strings: tsta and papr. These can be found in your TNSNAMES.ORA file
>suffixed with '.world'.

Actually it is generally permissible to use the full SQL*Net address string anywhere you would use a service name like "papr" or "tsta". Doing so eliminates dependence on the tnsnames file, which does nothing more than map service names to address strings. The drawbacks to this approach are having to code a lengthy set of parameters, which is prone to error (as in Lorri's situation), and in some cases running into intermediate interpretation  problems--coding the address string as part of a UNIX command line may confuse the shell, for example.

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  IBM Products Division  -  Oracle Corporation
These are my opinions, not necessarily Oracle's.