Re: Lack of support for logical variables

From: Michael Cello <mike1210000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:46:58 +0330

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:8tjmt11g13so7gk1n0j5f7f3tke83q52ag_at_4ax.com...
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 14:02:39 +0330, "Michael Cello"
> <mike1210000_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>While in the process of migrating a Progress database to Oracle 8
>>database,
>>I noticed that Oracle does not support logical variables and array data
>>structure. It does not seem to be right. So please let me know if I am
>>right
>>in my findings or I am missing something.
>>
>>Your help is the most appreciated.
>>
>>Mike
>>

> First of all: You shouldn't migrate to a desupported version of
> Oracle: both Oracle 8.0 and Oracle 8.1 aka 8i have been desupported
> prior to 2005.
> Secondly: the term 'logical variables' is ambiguous in the context of
> an RDBMS. Do you plan to use O/S logical variables in your database?
> Thirdly: Oracle has nested tables and a concept called VARRAY.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Thank you for your response. By logical variable, I mean a field with 'true' and 'false' contents. Our existing programs use logical variables and my efforts are to translate these programs to be used with Oracle without having to re-write the whole system due to the bulk volume of programs. Please advise. Received on Sat Jan 28 2006 - 22:16:58 CST