Re: How should we run XP from Linux.

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 13:59:42 +0100

marjina98_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> But I am not an expert who got your expert hints easily.
> Please let me guide what files I copied to, on which location on my
> Linux Server in order to accomplish what I am wanting.
> Also I don't know about Top Posted. How should I avoid that.

Hold the 'cursor down' key until you reached the bottom of the message...

> Frank van Bortel wrote:
>

>>Magnus Andersen wrote:
>>
>>>Win4Lin might be an option if you want to run both OS on the same
>>>machine.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Magnus Andersen
>>>

>>Aaahh! Other options....
>>
>>To the OP: if you are running both OS on one machine,
>>VMWare pops to mind. Available in both Linux and Windows
>>versions, so you can run Windows on top of Linux (why
>>would one do that?), or Linux on top of XP.
>>
>>Whichever you prefer

I am still not quite sure about your intentions, however, I will assume you want access to a (any) XP machine from your Linux server.

  1. go to http://www.realvnc.com/cgi-bin/download.cgi, and download the Windows and Linux versions. RPM available, if your system supports RPM's.
  2. Install VNC on both machines; you only need a viewer on the Linux side. The is an option to create a VNC service for Windows.
  3. Start the VNC viewer on your Linux. Enter the name (or ip-address) of your XP machine, enter the session password you entered during installation, and you're off.
--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...