Re: Log switch during import

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:11:10 +0100

Gerard Lacroix wrote:
> Hi.
> Sorry for another newbie question.
> The log switches were too frequent during normal operation, so I
> resized my redo files from 30 M to 100 M each (three groups).
> Everything worked fine then, but during a 1 million rows import, the
> time between switches went down to 1 minute, even less sometimes.
> I know the log switches should occur more frequently during the import,
> but isn't it to low ?
> Should I change the redo configuration before this kind of tasks ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> BANNER
> Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.6.0 - Production
> PL/SQL Release 9.2.0.6.0 - Production
> CORE 9.2.0.6.0 Production
> TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 9.2.0.6.0 - Production
> NLSRTL Version 9.2.0.6.0 - Production

Does it bother you?
Does it cause delays?
Is someone complaining?

A rule-of-thumb is to have one log switch every hour at normal operations.
Imports are not 'normal' operating conditions, so unless you can answer one of the questions above with a yes, I'd say leave it.
Remember, a rule-of-thumb is as valid as the other one.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...