Re: Oracle vs. Microsoft in analysis languages

From: Dino Hsu <dino_hsu_1019_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Dec 2005 21:53:39 -0800

Fu: HansF,
> Aside from the SQL capability that Oracle has provided for compound rollup, cube, grouping sets and windowing functions (which are included in baseline Oracle) you can also wander around the Data Mining docco and the OLAP docco at ...

For Oracle, I know SQL analytical & windowing functions (since 8i), very useful.
Oracle 8i/9i/10g hierarchical query (connect by ...) is similar to SS' recursive query (with...). (Oracle's hierarchical query has better performance on join since 9i)
Oracle 9i/10g OLAP DML seems to be a counterpart of MDX of AS2000/2005. Oracle 9i/10g seems to have no DMX counterpart, but PMML are supported by both.
I don't use OLAP DML, yet, but I will try because it looks useful as does MDX. Received on Sat Dec 24 2005 - 23:53:39 CST