Re: New tool for database developers, DBAs and analysts!

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:04:00 GMT

<bbulsara23_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1135349338.668645.225670_at_o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> > HansF wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 11:19:00 -0800, OracleUser wrote:
> >
> > Oh heavens me, yet another spam/scam artist .... download the 30 day
trial
> > for free and then pay $800 for a site license.
>
> Hans, Hans, Hans, your use and reference to a "scam" isn't exactly true
> is it?
>

> I read their website content. It says (check
> http://www.impact-sol.com/buy.html)
>
> "The free version expires at the end of each month and you must either
> purchase a license or download it again at the beginning of each month
> for further evaluation. "
>

> This has a ring of familiarity about it. From Quest Softwares website
> (check http://www.toadsoft.com/downld.html) re Toad it says
>
> "The TOAD Freeware version may be used for a maximum of five (5) users
> within Licensee's organization and expires each sixty (60) days, after
> which you will need to download and install the product again."
>

> Neither companies are scam artists! If you don't like spammers limit
> your criticism to the spamming. Neither product however is a scam. The
> approach to pay or use a timebombed version is not unique or unusual.
>
> Merry Christmas
> Barry

Their marketing method is similar to the one Quest used to employ. Quest's current "freeware" TOAD, IMO, is nothing but useless crippleware. Quest has little to fear from this startup, however. The product quality is abysmal. Buggy as hell, terrible UI. There is much better quality freeware available.

My 2 cents worth -
Happy Holidays

--
Randy Harris