Re: Oracle vs. Microsoft in analysis languages

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 08:55:40 -0800

Jim Kennedy wrote:

> "HansF" <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message
>

>>On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:43:11 -0800, dbahooker wrote:
>>

>>>i mean.. www.olapreport.com do you see oracles' market share?
>>>do you see microsofts?
>>>

>>Absolutely excellent report. I notice that SAS - long considered the Gold
>>Standard in the market - sits at the bottom (12th position) and Microsoft
>>is at the top.
>>
>>Does this mean that Microsoft's tools are the MacDonald's of the OLAP
>>world? - Popular because they are cheap rather than good? I wonder????
>>
>>;-}
>
> I am guessing that they might be given away or included in something and
> hence the "huge" market share.
> Jim

Worse than that. Microsoft's OLAP tools are bundled with multiple other products. Buy one ... get one free (so to speak). Doesn't mean anyone is actually using them.

It is the moral equivalent of Oracle claiming everyone that uses an analytic function is using Oracle's OLAP tools. Oracle seems to have higher ethical standards and/or less insecurity and need to brag about size rather than quality.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org