Oracle Names Servers and Net8 and 8i - What to call the Service Name

From: x <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:17:17 GMT

Trying to set up an Oracle Names Server using Net8 Assistant, Oracle 8i, Windows 2000 Pro.

I can set up host naming and local naming methods without problem.

My problem is that I don't know what to call the Service Name when adding a service to an Oracle Names Server.

Specifically ... when creating an Oracle Names Server, I can't add a Net Service Name under "Manage Data". Specifically, I can't enter a valid Service Name without getting an NNC-00406 error that the name does not exist. I tried the host name and the gloabal_dbname for this value, both without success.

I also tried to load services from my tnsnames.ora file, but I get an NNC-00006 error that the server is not responding.

My tnstnsnames.ora file is:
# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File:
c:\bin\Oracle\NETWORK\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

FLUGEL_SERVICE =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = CC841120-A)(PORT = 1521))     )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = dbname)
    )
  )