Re: Oracle not available

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:41:02 +0100

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:55:43 GMT, "Douglas SIX" <dsix_at_faire-savoir.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've just installed the Oracle 8.0.5.0.0 on a NT Server.
>
>I've created a user with the grant options as describe in the docs.
>
>I've imported a database from SQL Server, and it worked nealry fine until
>this morning. I made probably a bad SQL request, but since this request I
>always have an error message ORA-01034 Oracle not available.
>
>And I dont know what I can do to solve this problem.
>
>Is some one can help me ?
>
>Douglas.

Check whether your Oracle services is running by using the services applet in control panel. You have a service called OracleService<SID>, if that isn't running and you didn't shutdown the database manually it crashed.
If it did crash, before restarting, find the alrt<SID>.log file. This should contain messages pertaining to the cause of the crash. If you don't know how to solve them post them here.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed Feb 21 2001 - 05:41:02 CST