Re: Indexes, Increase query speed

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 15:16:05 -0800

> I'm a new developer and I want to increase the speed of my queries
> retrieved in Forms 6.0.
> I have a master - detail1 - detail2 (Table1 - Table2 - Table3)
> relationship. Where detail1(Table2) is the master of detail2(Table3).
> I have a two forms based on the above relationship. One form has the
> data source set to the tables (3 data blocks), the other form is based
> on a view of all three tables (1 data block).
> For both forms I need to auto query when the form opens
> Ordered by Table1 name and table2 date.
> I have indexes on all primary keys and foreign keys.
> I also created the following indexes:
> Table1 (primary key and name)
> Table2 (primary key, foreign key)
> Table2 (primary key, date)
> The queries are still quite slow any advice?
> What have I done wrong?

What you have done wrong is not provide enough information for anyone to help you. Here's what I would need to attempt to answer your question.

  1. What operating system on what hardware with how much RAM. And the Oracle version wouldn't hurt.
  2. How many rows in each of the tables?
  3. Provide a copy of your WHERE clause so that anything you have there that would invalidate index usage can be found.
  4. What optimizer mode?
  5. Have you run analyze on the schema after loading the tables?

Dan Morgan Received on Tue Feb 06 2001 - 17:16:05 CST