How to "break into" DBA profession?

From: WORLOK <worlok_at_kmfms.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 04:49:36 GMT

Hi,

I am a UNIX/Linux lover, and I admin a hetergeneous environment where I work (Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Linux, BSDI, NT/W2K, etc...), but alas no DB experience. We have a backend Oracle DB running on HP-UX, but it is the backend to a Remedy Helpdesk System, and it doesn't ever seem to need any manual DBA tuning. It just chugs along. I can get the Linux version of Oracle, but what would I do with it to learn? I figure the only way to get a job is to point to some kind of production experience. Alas I am at the fateful situation - how to get the job without experience, but how to get the experience without the job...

I keep seeing all of the hot salaries for DBA types, but they are all looking for Senior Gurus. I can't seem to find out a good way to get into the DBA area, or work with DB's so as to learn the skills. What kind of job can a UNIX guy with no real DB experience get that will get him in the door, without taking a huge pay cut?? I know being a programmer would help, but do you need to actually be a programmer, or just know some programming? (there is somewhat of a difference)

I hope that this is the right place to ask this. Any advice GREATLY appreciated.

--

Windoze NT has crashed,
I am the Blue Screen of Death,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Dec 05 1999 - 22:49:36 CST