Various simple questions from a slight neophyte

From: Gervase Lam <Gervase.Lam_at_lis.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 17:56:13 +0100

  1. Is there any way to find out what machine you've been connected in SQL*Plus? There are various ways to find out what database you're connected to. But what if you've got 2 machines with the same database name? Both or more machines (for want of a better word) are mentioned in the 'tnsnames.ora'.

What would be ideal would be to find out from within SQL*Plus what is the alias name from tnsnames.ora you've connected. But after reading a thread from this newsgroup, I don't think you can. Not even the IP address. Any suggestions?

2) SQL*Plus 3.3.3.0.0 for Windows display plays up when you minimize while it is outputting (e.g. long select result). When maximized, only the bottom line of the display updates with the output of the select.

At the subsequent SQL> prompt, though the characters you type in come up, the cursor doesn't move. So you get the effect of each character overwriting the previous character on the display. Even overwriting the SQL> prompt in some cases.

Re-sizing while SQL*Plus is outputting can also cause the very similar problems. I think the problems can come up in other situations, but I can't remember how at the moment.

What is the solution to these problems? It's not very nice when this happens when you're using SQL*Plus to change a customer's data.

Thanks,
Gervase

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/  Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Sep 30 1999 - 11:56:13 CDT