4D to Oracle

From: Edward V. Berard <eb_at_flashcom.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:40:30 -0400

I have spent the last 4 years developing web/intranet applications in 4th Dimension (from ACI).

4D includes its own development environment, that includes a programming language, form tools, object management capabilities, and more. In addition, I use one or two plug-ins, e.g., Internet Toolkit for TCP/IP.

The application, the Web Business Manager, is a stand-alone, compiled application that, among many other things, acts as an all-in-one, database, web server, office management system. The application runs on both Macintosh and Windows platforms, and is over 160,000 lines of source code.

Users deal with the application strictly via HTML forms, and dynamic HTML. (For more information on the Web Business Manager, go to www.toa.com, an click on the "Tell Me More ..." area in the lower left hand corner.)

My intention is to convert it to Oracle + Java. My problem is that no one seems to know what I need. That is no one at Oracle has yet been able to tell me what set of products (both Oracle and third party) I need to get the job done.

Any help would be appreciated.