Re: Oracle 8i, A very basic question

From: Mark Townsend <mtownsen_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:03:24 -0700

owais_anjum_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Is Oracle 8i a superset of Oracle 8 Enterprise Server?

Oracle8i is the latest version of the Oracle8 database, specifically 8.1.5. It comes in three flavours

Oracle8i Enterprise Edition
Oracle8i (aka Standard Edition)
Personal Oracle8i
Oracle8i Lite

Standard edition is a cut down version of Enterprise, Personal is the same as Enterprise but for single users only. Oracle8i Lite is a small footprint database for mobile devices. For a detailed set of differences, see
http://www.oracle.com/database/documents/o8i_family_features.pdf

> What I am necessarily asking is that apart from providing new features
> like iFS and InterMedia, does Oracle 8i still support the conventional
> relational engine?

Yes it's simply the latest release in the long line of Oracle data servers

> If it does, then iFS and Intermedia have a dependency on the relational
> engine or can they be used as stand alone products?

interMedia is an option that is available on the Enterprise, Standard and Personal databases, and cannot be used as a stand alone product.

iFS, which is not shipping yet, uses the database also. It may or may not be released as a separately bundled package

--
Regards,

Mark Townsend