Re: importing and exporting programmatically

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 18:30:56 +0800

mjswart_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> How wise is it to write a program (shell script) in Unix which has the
> affect of exporting and importing a database.
> I'm concerned because if there's an error at any step along the way,
> then it throws a wrench into the whole thing.
>
> Some alternatives:
> 1) Write a set of instructions for the customer to do the same thing
> (who hopefully is a little bright)
> 2) Dial in with a modem and do it myself.
>
> I'm leaning toward 2, what do you think?
>
> Mike

You could make it safer along the lines of:

export log=abc
if [ "`grep 'ORA-' abc`" ] ; then

   (error and exit)
fi

etc etc

Not foolproof but at least it will stop roughly at the appropriate step...

HTH
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Wed Sep 08 1999 - 05:30:56 CDT