Performance slowdown when inserting more than 20000 records

From: ing. Massimo Chiaia <maxint_at_box.seven.it>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 18:46:13 +0200

Hy, I'm a Sw Enginneer writing an application which uses ODBC to insert and update records on a Oracle 7.3.3.0.0 Server running on a Win NT Server 4.0 Station.
I've got this very painful problem:
my batch procedure must insert a lot of records (approx. 150000) in a single table, and it uses the normal ODBC mechanism of insertion (i use the MFC Crecordset-CDatabase architecture) with Commits every 50 records. After the first 20000 records inserted, quite sharply the performance of the procedure decreases:
20000 rec per hour -------> 200 rec per hour !!!!!!!!!!!!! The only frustrating solution i've found, is to reboot the Win95 client and restart the procedure from the last commit... Can Anybody help me ? I desperately need a confirmation that this coulb be a recognized native problem (not just ODBC) Thank You very much
my e-mail is maxint_at_box.seven.it Received on Fri May 29 1998 - 11:46:13 CDT