bitmask operations and SQL

From: Christopher J. Nalbone <nalbonec_at_bms.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 08:55:33 -0400

Are there any SQL operators that support bitmask operations? I'd like to know if a certain bit within a number (integer) is set. For example,

   number in question               number I'm interested in
 (decimal)     (binary)             (decimal)       (binary)
     27           11011                   4              00100

In a bitwise AND operation, this would return FALSE, since the single bit that corresponds to the number I'm interested in, 4, is not set.

Thanks,
Chris Nalbone
Bristol-Myers Squibb
nalbonec_at_bms.com