Re: How do u make SURE a table is empty?????

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 14 May 1998 21:59:39 GMT

RichardH_at_vorlon.hsv.lmsg.lmco.com (Richard Hollingsworth >> have a SQL_LOADER script that tries to read a flat ascii comma-delimited file into an Oracle8 table. As long as I DELETE FROM TABLE1, then use the APPEND option in SQL_LOADER, it works ok. But if I try to use the INSERT option, it errors with "Table must be empty." even though I just did a DELETE FROM TABLE1 first. <<

Why not wrap the SQL to do the delete and commit, and the sqlldr execution in a shell script? You did not state whether you are doing a direct or conventional load. You might be able to eliminate the error by replaceing the delete statement with a truncate command.

Mark Powell -- Oracle 7 Certified DBA
- The only advice that counts is the advice that you follow so follow your own advice - Received on Thu May 14 1998 - 16:59:39 CDT