Re: Access vs Oracle

From: Jgitomer <jgitomer_at_aol.com>
Date: 14 May 1998 04:52:46 GMT

Hi Umar,

> what gives oracle can an edge over databases such as Access and
>Foxpro....is it the size..if so then what is a threshold db size where
>Access or Foxpro start performing poorly...are there any other factors.

Access and Foxpro are intended for small groups of users who are dealing with small databases. Oracle is designed to meet the needs of large enterprises.

Neither Access nor Foxpro can scale up to satisfy the needs of a large enterprise but Oracle can scale down to meet the needs of a single user. (But in a single user environment Access or Foxpro may outperform Oracle since neither has to carry the data integrity and reliability code that make Oracle so well suited for large enterprises.)

>what is oracle's advantage over informix...

Well, that depends on whose talking. If you ask an Informix bigot they will swear that Informix is superior. On the other hand us Oracle bigots will tell you in no uncertain terms that Oracle is better in all respects. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

From what I have read and seen (I have two systems running Informix On-Line and two systems running Oracle 7.3.x) Oracle is a more well rounded product and is clearly faster when running batch operations. Informix is, I think, faster for applications with medium sized tables (under 1,000,000 rows) while Oracle is definitely faster for applications with large tables.

Of course YMMV.

Regards

Jerry

Jerry Gitomer Since I know how to spell DBA, I became one. Received on Wed May 13 1998 - 23:52:46 CDT