Re: Will a 2nd CPU boost Read Performance - NT/Oracle8

From: Chris Hamilton <toneczar_at_erols.com>
Date: 13 May 1998 11:09:32 GMT

peterwiley_at_hotmail.com wrote ...

> I'm looking at boosting read performance on our logging database. It
acquires
> time-series data at between 10 & 50 Hz, 24 hours/day for up to 12 weeks
at a
> time. While it's getting data, we often run queries against it.
>
> Essentially, we're doing a stack of inserts, some very large selects and
> virtually no updates.
>
> I want to improve as far as possible the performance on selects ...

Make sure your PCTFREE for your segments is set to something very small, like 0 or 1. That way you'll pack the most data into a block, therefore you'll require fewer reads.

As for the second CPU, it sure couldn't hurt. Use the parallel query option as well.

Chris

Chris Hamilton -- toneczar_at_erols.com
US Army Corps of Engineers
http://www.serve.com/cowpb/chamilton.html Received on Wed May 13 1998 - 06:09:32 CDT