Oracle 8 Pro*C Migration

From: Graham Potts <graham_at_pncl.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 15:32:56 GMT

Hi,

We are currently running a production database under Oracle Workgroup Server V7.3 and have recently received a copy of v8.04 and a trial copy of the Oracle Context cartridge.

A couple of questions......

Can V7.3 and V8 coexist on the same server system (The server runs Solaris 2.5)? For the next few weeks while we try this out I would like to run the V8 server in parallel with the V7.3 server so I can test our software on the new database before committing to it.

I've tried installing the software on another machine until I know whether I can run the two together. Unfortunately that system goes back to its owner next week so I am only able to get a few days play on it with the V8 database before I have to delete it all and give the machine back to its owner. I have found that I can run existing PRO*C software against the V8 database as long as I have the V7.3 copy of libclntsh.so in place. If I change LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the .so file in the 8.0.4 area I get an error:
 fatal: relocation error: symbol not found: slpmprodstab: refere nced in /export/home2/app/oracle/product/8.0.4/lib/libclntsh.so.1.0 The Oracle reseller we deal with told me that we did not need to updgrade our PRO*C version. Is that the case? Is this why I get the above error?

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Graham Potts Received on Sat May 02 1998 - 10:32:56 CDT