RE: [EXTERNAL] For those supporting EBS with 19c

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 08:48:07 -0400

if memory serves, that means one of:

  1. the messages file that contains the lookup text for error codes is absent
  2. the messages file that contains the lookup text for error codes runs into a folder or file access permission on attempting to open it
  3. the environment variable for your session is not being correctly set to find the messages file (an old foible being execute rather than “dot” on UNIX variants)

As Mark Burgess remarked, if your step completed it is *probably* okay. (In fact I dimly recall the result of fixing finding the messages file would often cause a WARNING message to print and then you could evaluate whether the warning applied to your situation, whereas not finding the messages file printed the troubling word “error” without telling you that the error was not finding the messages file, and then the process either continued or failed depending on how it was written.)

Sigh. I think that was it. I surmise that the enhancement request to change that particular error message to hard wire “can’t find the error messages” as a special case never reached the top of the enhancement requests lists. I believe it was originally rejected because the policy was to use codes and put the error messages in files (which was a laudable policy) and I doubt my insistence that this particular error message deserved a special case for reasons I consider obvious was ignored.

My usual practice was to stop in my tracks and fix things so that the messages were found, but that was mostly my paranoia that not finding the messages file probably meant other things were set up for failure, and I really wanted to see subsequent messages when a show stopping error took place.

Good luck. It could be something entirely different…

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mark Burgess ("mark") Sent: Monday, March 28, 2022 4:53 PM
To: jbeckstrom_at_gcrta.org
Cc: oracle-l-freelist
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] For those supporting EBS with 19c

Hi Jeff,

that should be ok - the majority of the EBS 19c upgrade PDB conversion scripts will check for error codes in the script log. So long as the step is completing ok without error you should be good to go.

Note - once you have run the txkOnPremPrePDBCreationTasks.pl avoid making any parameter or structural changes to the database until after the PDB conversion has completed later in the upgrade process.

Regards,

Mark

On 29 Mar 2022, 6:26 AM +1100, Beckstrom, Jeffrey <jbeckstrom_at_gcrta.org>, wrote:

Upgrading 11g to 19c.

Running txkOnPremPrePDBCreationTasks.pl script has message in the log file of the below:

Pattern: error
could not find the pattern

Is it stating that it is looking for the message “error” and does not find it so it is okay or is there a problem somewhere?

Jeffrey Beckstrom

Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

1240 W. 6th Street

Cleveland, Ohio 44113